I suggest you ...

Eliminate incomplete stories from Search that haven't been updated in a year or more.

Wattpad's search is jam-packed with stories that are incomplete and haven't been updated in YEARS. So many unfinished stories are there that make it difficult for you to find stories that are regularly updated/completed. I think stories that haven't been updated should be at least eliminated from search, and possibly even unpublished (but not deleted, so the author can come back to it and finish it if they wish.)
I searched the words "teen story" and the second story that showed was an incomplete story that hasn't been updated in a year, as you can see in the picture.

AGAIN: I don't believe the story should be erased completely to where the author wouldn't be able to come back to it and finish it, but unpublishing and putting the story in draft would be ideal if it has been a year or more since the last update OR at least remove the story from search.

1,647 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Cristy Marie Poplin - author of Our Last TimeCristy Marie Poplin - author of Our Last Time shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

55 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • CarrieCarrie commented  · 

I can agree with taking a story off the search engine if it has been been a long time since it was updated, but I will NEVER be able to agree with just deleting or unpublishing someone's hard work without their consent. That would actually be as violating to the author's rights as deleting their account because "you don't show enough activity" or similar reasons. Sure, some stories are abandoned simply because the writer loses interest, but what about those who are in the hospital or who have had other serious life events taking place? How do you think they would feel to finally come back and see all their stories unpublished simply because someone didn't want to see it in the search engines? So no, don't unpublish or delete the stories from accounts. Just remove them from search engines until they are updated once again. Also, maybe instead of just Completed and Incomplete, offer a Discontinued status for stories so readers can go in knowing that they are not being updated anymore but have not been completed?

• Anonymous commented  · 

NO THIS TAKES AWAY THE RIGHT OF THE AUTHOR. YOU CAN FILTER YOUR SEARCHES SO THERE IS NO POINT FOR THIS ANYWAY. IF THIS IDEA ISN'T DECLINED THEN THEY SHOULD ONLY BE ABLE TO UNPUBLISH STORIES WITH THE CONSENT OF THE AUTHOR. If an author doesn't update for a year and wattpad wants to unpublish, then they should email the author asking for their permission. WITHOUT the authors permission, NOTHING should be done

• WillowChance2905WillowChance2905 commented  · 

No not fair there are people who punish theses stories that they worked so *******
        This cant be done without consent of the author and if consent isn't give this violates the authors rights to being able to post or take down their work on their own free will!

So no this idea is very bad and shouldn't be done!

• KessaKessa commented  · 

Ive come across several of these. Makes me not want to even read the story, even if its good, because its not going to be updated anytime soon. I dont even read stories that havent been updated within a few months. I understand people have lives like school and work and stuff, which is why a year is ideal to take them off search if they havent been updated.

• HaileeHailee commented  · 

I'd like this idea more if it was more like a year and a half.

• AliAli commented  · 

I agree that if a writer hasn't updated/completed their story within a one-year timeframe, than the story should be deleted/taken down from the Wattpad website. Many readers do NOT check to see when the author last updated until it's too late and they're fully into the book. When I was new to Wattpad, this happened to me several times and I was very upset. In fact, it still happens with WIPs, which is why I prefer reading only completed works now. You never know when a writer will just stop writing and updating. Notifications should be sent out to writers that unless they have a good reason for not updating within a one-year timeframe, i.e. medical ailment, death in the family, etc., their stories will be deleted. It's utterly ridiculous and asinine to keep tons of uncompleted works on my your website.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I like this idea cause it is so misleading when A story is really good but then it just stops....You go on the author's page and see it hasn't been updated in forever and you heart just breaks from disappointment.

• AlexiaAlexia commented  · 

I think they should just appear at the bottom of the search under a new layer or folder type thing.

• Moongirl1012Moongirl1012 commented  · 

I feel sending them an email notification by which they have to reply to in a week(or more)after they haven't updated in over a year. Saying, would you like to keep the story up? And if you are planning on coming back to it, you should, but if you don't reply it turns into draft form.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I also want to add that it is unfair for such books to take a place in the rising, or undiscovered sections. They occupy a place that should be allocated to authors who continuously spend the effort on their work. It is unfair to readers and to hard working authors.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Unfortunately a lot of readers do not bother checking out the first time the book started and the last time it was updated. Many start a book to find out it will not ever be finished. I definitely agree that there has to be a punishment mechanism for books that are not updated in long time. It creates unnecessary supply and prevents readers from finding the books that are being updated. If you are not going to finish the story, then don't start it. That's where I stand.

• GeneGene commented  · 

WattPad should remove works that are incomplete after a certain amount of time. Authors that habitually create incomplete works should be banned from flooding WattPad with incomplete works. WattPad is for up and coming authors and reader not for people to use as an ego boost. PLEASE REMOVE incomplete works!!! If an author hasn't updated a story in 6 months or a year the story should be removed completely from WattPad!

• Ellie G.Ellie G. commented  · 

But instead of having the stories deleted, I would suggest having a setting where you can search for books that are updated recently, and one that has stories that haven't been updated in a while.

• Ellie G.Ellie G. commented  · 

I totally agree! I had a book named Heath in my library and it hasn't been updated for months, until recently, she put on a update that she was discontinuing the story. I was so bummed and angry that I had to wait months for an update, only to find the book was only going to be deleted!

• FatimaFatima commented  · 

I think this is a good idea, but maybe instead of having a separate button that is for "old/ never completed" we could have a settings where we search for books "within this time range." Because sometimes I do find stories that authors have not marked as "complete" but in reality, their story lines are...

• trapped_eternitytrapped_eternity commented  · 

omg lol sorry I didn't read it all and just did- great minds think alike, I guess!

• trapped_eternitytrapped_eternity commented  · 

Maybe not eliminated, but, you know, cause the author (MAAYBBEEE) might come back on to finish. Who knows. So maybe there should be a warning on there about the book not being updated in so long, or Wattpad itself can unpublish the book to where no one except the author can see it.

• DragonaireAbsolvareDragonaireAbsolvare commented  · 

It's a pity you think so, because the writer might have had a busy schedule and was unable to complete. Then there were a few writers that succumbed to illness and died, who I know to have written fantastic stories, but were incomplete. So, I can't agree with your idea even if it makes sense.

• GpGp commented  · 

I wouldn't delete so much as simply mark their status as incomplete and inactive as well as the date of the last update. Some of the stories are not marked incomplete yet have an epilogue for the last chapter. One last note is to allow readers to leave a mini review of the story and maybe rate it on say plot, readability, and overall score. Make it a 1-10 for each. I've seen it on storiesonline.net. On some of the stories maybe the age of the author would be nice as some of the stories come across like a sixth grade composition project!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base